- If you’re reading this guide, you are probably looking to sell on Amazon.in This guide will help you start your online business with Amazon.in.
- Amazon.in is the most visited online shopping marketplace in India. Most of the customers rely on Amazon.in for online shopping.
- Amazon.in has customers in 100% serviceable pin-codes in India.
- Amazon.in has become the online destination for small and medium enterprises.
Why should you sell on Amazon.in?
- Crores of people buy from Amazon.in.
- Secure payments & brand protection.
- Sell globally & reach 180+ countries.
- Services & tools to grow your business.
Did You Know? More than 15,000 sellers have become millionaires and over 3500+ sellers have become crorepatis by selling on Amazon.in.
Before You Get Started
Now before you start selling, you need to have all your details and documents handy.
Checklist to get started
- Active Mobile
- Number GST Number*
- Pan Details
- Active Bank Account Email ID
What is GST?
GST is the Goods & Service tax imposed on the supply of goods and services. It is an indirect tax that replaces several others in India like excise duty, VAT, services tax, etc. to make taxation easier for people.
How to obtain your GST Number?
If you do not have a GST No., go to www.gst.gov.in and follow the three-step process to register your business for GST.
- Generate your GST application
- Fill the GST application form
- Post the application
Get the detailed GST application process here.
Did You Know? Not all products need GST to be sold on Amazon.in. There are certain products like books, certain handicrafts, some edible goods, etc. that are exempted from GST.
Fees for Selling On Amazon.in
There are diﬀerent types of fees associated with selling on Amazon.in.
Selling On Amazon Fee = Referral Fee + Closing Fee + Shipping Fee + FBA Speciﬁc Fee
Referral Fee: Fee charged by Amazon.in as a percentage of the sales made by selling any product. It varies for diﬀerent categories.
Closing Fee: Fee charged in addition to Referral Fee, based on your product price.
Shipping Fee: Fee incurred for delivering your order through any channel.
FBA Speciﬁc Fee: FBA fee to pick, pack & store your orders.
Want to know your selling cost? Calculate your selling fee using Amazon.in's Fee Calculator. Fill in the details and your shipping mode to know how much it will cost you to sell your product.
How to Register & Launch Your Business
- Go to amazon.in/sell.
- Click on Start Selling.
- Choose Create a new account on Amazon.in.
- Enter the legal company name provided in your GST.
- Verify your mobile number through OTP.
- Provide your store name, product & your business address.
- Enter your tax details, including your GST & PAN No.
- Select the ‘Products to sell’option from the dashboard & click ‘Start listing’.
- Enter your product name or barcode number to search for it on the existing catalog of Amazon.in
- If you can’t ﬁnd your product in the existing catalog, choose ‘I’m adding a product not sold on Amazon’ to create a new listing.
- Enter your product price, MRP, product quantity, condition, & your shipping option
- Click ‘Saveand Finish’ to add the product to your inventory.
- Go to your selling dashboard, add any remaining details, & upload your digital signature.
- Click on Launch your business’
OPTIMIZE YOUR LISTING
Set up your product page to start selling. You can edit product details from the ‘Manage Inventory’ section of your Seller Central dashboard.
Why do product details matter?
- Customers compare diﬀerent products before making a purchase.
- Customers look at the product image, video, and speciﬁcations to decide if it suits their needs.
- Providing complete & accurate product details helps them buy your products, generating more sales.
Product image speciﬁcations
- Colored image
- Features should be clearly visible
- Height & width should be 1000 pixels or larger to enable zooming
- Images must not exceed 10,000 pixels on the longest side
- Accepted formats – JPEG (.jpg), TIFF (.tif), preferred format – JPEG
The restricted products category includes items that cannot be sold on Amazon.in.
Examples – Animals, weapons, narcotics drugs, etc.
Click to read more about restricted products.
Quick Tip While creating your product page, think about what customers come looking for. This will help you in putting down the relevant information for customers.
Successful Registration + Complete Product Page = Successful Launch
SELLER CENTRAL– YOUR SELLER PORTAL
What is Seller Central?
Once you register as an Amazon.in seller, you get access to your Seller Central dashboard. This is where you manage your entire business. From adding your ﬁrst product to ﬁnding tools to grow a successful brand, you’ll ﬁnd everything in here to run your business.
To download the App:
1. Go to the App Store
2. Search for Amazon Seller App
3. Install the App
WHAT’S YOUR ORDER FULFILLING/SHIPPING OPTION?
Fulﬁlling your orders includes storing inventory, packaging products, shipping, and delivering orders. Amazon.in has 3 diﬀerent order fulﬁlling options :
- You will store your products in your warehouse.
- You will pack your products.
- You will deliver your products using your delivery associates or a third-party carrier.
- You will store your products in your warehouse.
- You will pack your products.
- You will schedule a pickup & an Amazon.in agent will deliver your product to the customer.
- Amazon.in will store your products at a Fulﬁllment Center (FC).
- Amazon.in will pack your products.
- Amazon.in will deliver your product to the customer.
How FBA works?
- Send products to Amazon.in FC*
- Amazon.in stores products
- Customer orders
- Amazon.in packs & ships
- Amazon.in handles customer service
- Amazon.in manages returns
Beneﬁts of Fulﬁllment options
|FBA||Easy Ship||Self Ship|
|Oﬀer unlimited free & fast deliveries to customers||Fast and safe delivery of Amazon.in||Complete control on your business|
|You store your products in Amazon.in’s Fulﬁllment Centers and we take care of the rest – picking, packing, & shipping||Control over your inventory No storage cost||Use your own resources for operations|
|Customer service & returns managed by Amazon.in||No third-party negotiation hassles||Manage customer service & returns on your own|
|Eligibility for Prime||Choose your own packaging|
Quick Tip Become a Prime seller with FBA and increase your sales by up to 3X.
WHAT TO DO AFTER MAKING YOUR SALE?
Your ﬁrst order
Congratulations! You made your ﬁrst sale.
The ﬁrst thing you might expect is your payment. Your ﬁrst Amazon.in payment! So exciting, right?
Getting your payment
- Payment generated through Automated Clearing House (ACH) or electronic transfer.
- Payment is received within 5-7 business days.
- Get payment reports & summary on the Seller Central.
Now what? – Manage your business
- Measure business performance through sales dashboard & reports.
- Observe your account health – order completion rates, sales, returns, etc.
- Ensure compliance with Amazon.in policies.
- Monitor product reviews through feedback manager.
- Use the voice of the customer to identify any highlighted product issue.
Better Performance + Better Customer Service = Better Seller Ranking
AMAZON PRIME – YOUR BUSINESS’S BEST FRIEND!
What does Prime hold for sellers ?
Becoming a Prime seller opens up new growth opportunities for your business that brings various advantages to help boost your business.
- Get Prime badge on your products.
- Oﬀer free & fast deliveries to your customers.
- More product visibility through your badge.
- Get a head start during the sale events to increase your sales.
- Get a chance to be a part of the Prime Day sale every year.
- Prime Day is a special sale event dedicated to Amazon Prime members. It’s a two-day sale event where Prime members can buy products at huge discounts.
- As a Prime seller, you can participate in the Prime Day sale to give a remarkable push to your business growth.
Did You Know? Over 10 lakh Prime members shopped from small businesses in the 14-day lead up to Prime Day 2020.
HOW TO BECOME – A PRIME SELLER ?
Depending on the mode of your business operation, you can join Prime in either of these 4 ways:
- Fulﬁllment by Amazon FBA
- Local shops on Amazon
- *Seller Fulﬁlled Prime(SFP) Get your Prime badge for your Easy Ship products through an Invite Only Program.
- *SellerFlex Join the Seller Flex program & get Prime and FBA services to your inventory.
Did You Know? A Prime badge assures the customers of a quality experience - fast delivery, reliable customer support, and returns.
GROW YOUR BUSINESS ON AMAZON.IN
Amazon.in is always there to help you grow your business to new heights. As you join Amazon.in, you get access to various tools and services to enjoy numerous growth possibilities with Amazon.in. You also get help at each step to transform from a new seller to a known brand in no time.
Recommendations to help you grow your business on Amazon.in :
- FBA Register on Fulﬁllment by Amazon & increase sales by up to 3X.
- Sponsored Products Advertise with Sponsored Product and increase visibility on search results & product pages.
- Set Limited Time Promotions
- Services to grow
- Manage your business
Amazon tools to grow on Amazon.in :
Account Management – All newly launched sellers are eligible for free Account Management service.
Automate Pricing Increase your chances of winning the Buy Box.
Service provider network Get paid assistance from qualiﬁed 3rd party service providers to help you with professional product photoshoots, order fulﬁllment, and much more.
Voice of Customer Monitor feedback through customer service calls, returns, reviews, etc.
Product listing List recommended products based on customer demand, seasonality etc.
Did You Know? Sellers who have used programs/products of Amazon.in have grown their business by up to 10X.
AMAZON STEP PROGRAM
To help you grow at a faster pace and in the right direction, Amazon.in has launched the STEP program. The program is designed for your stepwise growth through performance tracking and recommendations.
How does it work?
- It is a performance-based beneﬁts program. Amazon.in provides you with customized and actionable recommendations that can help you improve your key customer experience metrics and your growth.
- The STEP program has diﬀerent levels, starting from ‘Basic’ and goes on to ‘Standard’, ‘Advanced’, ‘Premium’ & higher levels, as your performance improves.
- With each new level, you get access tovarious beneﬁts.
Beneﬁts of STEP
Performance tracking – Track your performance on-the-go to speed up your growth.
Unlock beneﬁts – Get your hands on various beneﬁts like weight handling & lightning deal fee waivers, faster disbursement cycles, priority seller support, free account management & more.
Get recommendations – Personalized and actionable recommendations for your business for continuous improvement and growth.
AT AMAZON.IN, HELP IS JUST A CLICK AWAY!
If you are stuck somewhere during the registration process, you can seek help from Amazon.in’s quick guide.
Just choose your issue from the list and get a detailed answer to speed up your launch process.
Support on Facebook
To get more help on selling on Amazon.in, join Amazon India Sellers, a Facebook group for sellers on Amazon.in to share information, tips, experiences, and best practices with each other. It notiﬁes you about new products and services to help grow your business.
Learn A to Z of Amazon.in selling on the Seller University. Find everything you need in detail through the online and oﬄine classes. Attend your classes in your regional languages and record your sessions to catch up later.
Service provider network (SPN)
To oﬀer more expert help for your business, Amazon.in has established a network of third-party service providers.
It’s a paid assistance service with over 800 service providers to help you with professional product photoshoots, order fulﬁllment, and much more.
BEST PRACTICES TO SELL ON AMAZON.IN
Becoming a great seller means knowing your marketplace inside out. Make sure you do not miss out on any important information that can make your business successful.
Here’s a checklist to keep in mind as you step into the Amazon.in selling world.
- Great customer service is the most important part.
- Check your Seller Central account health timely.
- Join FBA to enjoy premium services for your business & oﬀer a rich customer experience.
- Use advertising tools to improve your brand presence.
- Expand to other product categories to maximize your proﬁts.
- Take advantage of sale events with attractive pricing & oﬀers to increase sales.
- Use the Automate Pricing tool to set a competitive price & increase the chances of winning Buy Box.
Digital Starter Kit
Make a perfect start to your selling journey with Amazon.in’s Digital Starter Kit.
The Kit is a complete package of all the services and support you may need for your business.Read more: A Beginner’s Guide to Selling on Amazon India in 2023